Frugal Spending for Christmas

Thursday, December 4, 2008


This is a picture of the Christmas tree at my sister's house last year. My parents paid for us to go to Florida and spend Christmas with them and my sister's family. My mom missed having both her daughters with her on Christmas, so last year she wanted us to go with her and my dad to Florida. My sister's husband is not able to get away from work during the Christmas holiday season.

The presents under the tree look like a lot. There were a lot of us there. This year, money is tight for everyone. My children will not be getting that much in the way of gifts. My son will understand, and I hope my daughter will too.

To top it all off, my husband told me last night that his work is closing for six weeks. That is, two weeks at the end of Dec. and the whole month of January. They do not want to officially lay people off, so they are going to close for the six weeks. Money is already tight, and now, just in time for Christmas and the New Year, it will get tighter.

I like to think that I am creative and good at bargain shopping and cutting corners. I look for items that are on sale. I comb the thrift stores. I cook up meat and split it up to make two meals instead of just one. I don't buy anything for myself.

What do you do to be frugal? What unique things do you do to save your family money? Let's share our ideas.

4 comments:

Astrid Nicole Etcetera said...

That is tough news to swallow at this, or any time of year. We are all hit hard by the economy in some way and for ourselves, we've always lived frugally, not being into 'stuff' so much. I'm also grateful that we have no credit card debt, so I guess that is one of our big keys to being thrifty.

The Four Week Vegan said...

It is definantly tough times right now. First, depending on what your dh does perhaps he can line up some side jobs for those six weeks.

I think we do all the basic savings things - don't eat out, frugal w/groceries, we have had to cut back on kid activities that cost money, we let the gardener go (this was our one real luxury and he was excellent), and yes Christmas is going to not be an overload of presents.

Best wishes.

ScottsHelper said...

As the weather has gotten colder this season, we have gotten used to not setting the thermostat so warm. We were used to it being pretty toasty inside during the winter, but this year, we've adjusted to wearing sweaters and warm, thick socks and have our beds piled with lots of cozy blankets. We actually find that we sleep better in the cooler air, and haven't had the usual cold weather change sniffles and colds (so far!)

Hang in there...looks like there's lots of us in for a financially challenging new year! I think supporting one another will be so helpful--not just emotionally though that is SO important!) but with the people around us we can help one another physically- where I might have plenty in one area and see someone in need, I can give... and receive, in turn, where I may be in need. I hope these times will build community and relationships rather than separate us!

The Munchkins and Me

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are both very thrifty so we don't spend much at all during Christmas. Seeing our parents and siblings that we hardly ever see is what matters most.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4