
I was honored when Tammy asked me to write a guest post on her blog at www.autismlearningfelt.com. Creating products for children, and children with specials needs in particular, is much more than a business or job for me- it is my passion. I invented the myPC Stage I Keyboard because, as a mom, I know that our children- even as infants want to participate with technology. Every morning, their very first best friend- Elmo, gets on the computer and checks his email. They see mommy and daddy with their tech gadgets and on the computer and they want to experience it. Software vendors have known this for years- lapware: educational computer software for infants sitting on their parents laps is not a new concept. Neither is early learning software/games/websites for toddlers. Assistive technologies for individuals with special needs have also been around for years.
My goal with the myPC Stage I, II, and III Keyboards were to bridge the gap between children’s (including toddlers) desire to interact with computer-based learning via a healthy-stage based keyboard tool. Although we have met and exceeded that goal with our first release, the myPC Stage I Keyboard for toddlers ages two through four, we found that there are other inherent benefits of the keyboard that reach beyond technology.
Shortly after our release in 2008, I began hearing from families of children with autism and autism spectrum disorders; special ed schools and classrooms. They called thanking me for developing what they considered to be a motor skill and sensory development tool. Several parents wrote in saying that they did not even plug the keyboard into the computer, but that their children enjoyed touching the keys and saying the letters aloud (the larger, rubberized textures keys drew them in- along with the colors). They spoke of practicing teaching the alphabet, and how excited they were when they told their child to press an “a” and the child would do it. Eventually, some discussed introducing toddler friendly websites, such as sesamestreet.org; and how their children would be able to successfully engage with activities online without the distraction of pressing a function key or a right click. My heart warmed every time I heard from a parent or educator. Finally, another joy is that although it is adaptive, it is the same board for every child- they just can use it in different ways. They don’t have to feel different.
I am not a doctor or specialist, but I am a technologist. I am passionate about how we can utilize technology and technology based tools- be them hardware or software to create new opportunities for all. It is my mission and my dream. It warms my heart that I have been able to bring the joy of learning and access to technology to children with special needs.
Elizabeth Tarpley
Targeted Technology Solutions, LLC
Giveaway for MyPC Stage 1 Keyboard(2 winners)
This Giveaway will run from July 9, 2009 to July 25, 2009. There will be 2 winners. The winners will be announced on July 26, 2009. This giveaway is for USA only. Below are rules for entering this giveaway. Good luck.
• MAIN RULE – Visit the My TechStart site and come back here and leave a comment telling me one thing you learned on their site. (remember if this rule is not followed then no others will count) This gives you one entry. Make sure you leave your email for me to contact you.
For additional entries, you can do any or all of the following:
Please make each entry a separate comment because I will be using a random generator to select the winners of this giveaway.
* 1 Extra Entry – Leave a comment on a non-giveaway post (come back here and leave a comment telling me which post you commented on)
* 1 Extra Entry - Twitter this giveaway and leave your twitter name in a separate comment
* 1 Extra Entry - Subscribe via email to my feed and let me know in a separate comment
• 1 Extra Entry - Follow my blog let me know in a separate comment
* 1 Extra Entry - Put my blog button on your site and let me know in a separate comment

136 comments:
I learned all this: SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys
subscribe
follow
I learned that the keys are made of rubber and it's spill proof. How awesome is that. I really wanted to see the video but for some reason my browser is being picky. I like the fact that the stage one computer has the consonants and vowels on it. Great job on your creation of the product.
I follow you and I tweeted http://twitter.com/a49erfangirl/status/2559546140
I don't remember if I left you the link for when I tweeted if not here it is http://twitter.com/a49erfangirl/status/2559546140 I do follow as a49erfangirl
I subscribed via email with the email stacie@supermommytotherescue.com
This is so cool. I love the fact that the has a "SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior." I worry about that when it comes to kids using the computer. Thanks for the giveaway.
According to their website Toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not
sylviawhit@gmail.com
I subscribe
sylviawhit@gmail.com
This keyboard is spill proof! Wish mine was...lol
My lil one would love to have a keyboard of her very own... she loves to play computer games... and type e-mails to her Daddy!
~A Lil Enchanted~
I'm following!
~A Lil Enchanted~
I tweeted... my Twitter name is ALilEnchanted
~A Lil Enchanted~
I added your button to my blog.
http://alilenchanted.blogspot.com/
~A Lil Enchanted~
I loved the research section of the site - especially the article from Medical News Today. Its amazing to think that using a computer just 3 times a week can held readiness and cognitive development. Thanks! alicedemskehansen at gmail.com
I subscribe via email (with alicedemske at hotmail.com) - thanks! alicedemskehansen at gmail.com
Spill Proof Deisgn....LOVING IT!
I learned that: Their website discussed research that states "Hold off until your child is at least nine months to a year old. Children younger than nine months don't have the physical skills to interact with the computer. Their vision isn't developed enough to clearly focus on the screen until they're about six months old."
smilefest (at) yahoo (dot) com
I subscribe to your email updates.
smilefest (at) yahoo (dot) com
SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover
following yur blog
It's spill proof, which means all those juices and green monsters won't get all over their keyboard.
smackcrash@gmail.com
I love that it's spill proof and that the company contributes to the Toy Bank. Very nice.
I learned all this: SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys
I learned that nearly half (48%)
of all children six and under have used a computer, and more than
one in four (30%) have played video games.
thanks for the contest
taulya at hotmail dot com
This would be great!!! with kids that spill everything, I realy could use this for the kids to learn on.
The myPC Stage One Keyboard
is a personalized computer keyboard designed especially for toddlers' learning styles and lifestyles mverno@roadrunner.com
The Stage 1 Toddler Keyboard is ideal for two year olds to preschoolers and the perfect start to their technology experience.s
They premiered the
myPC Stage I Keyboard at the
2008 Toy Fair
and received an enormous response of positive press.
Today, they are an award winning international company.
tweet & follow
http://twitter.com/lisagee1234/status/2710769314
I love that it has a "SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior" My 2 yr old Daughter would Love the Pink OR Green one! Thanks
hmahan_0529 @ yahoo dot com
Aw spill proof design !!! awesome
SPILL PROOF
with kids can you ask for more
I learned that it has Child Friendly Email System and other online peripherals
I love that there is no period key so internet use is safer.
SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior to withstand the messiest of computing experiences. This product is amazing!
tvollowitz at aol dot com
The spill prool design, that is is easy to wash and clean and that the keys are large for good use.
adamnsarahsmall@yahoo.com
I subscribe :)
adamnsarahsmall@yahoo.com
I follow :)
adamnsarahsmall@yahoo.com
I twittered :)
princesssmall
adamnsarahsmall@yahoo.com
The Stage 1 Toddler Keyboard is ideal for two year olds to preschoolers and the perfect start to their technology experience.
The Spillproof feature is so appropriate and cool! Thanks for the chance. mogrill@comcast.net
the idea that it is spillproof design is awesome. Also the part about large rubber keys is good.
This product *really* caught my attention because my son has been showing a lot of interest in the computer. I gave him his first lesson a few days ago and it was so fun to see how excited he was to touch the keys and watch stuff happen on the screen. He very inadvertently typed the word "hug" which we certainly copy and pasted to send to the grandparents:o) Unfortunately my laptop is not very kid friendly. The mouse is slightly in front of the keyboard and so we have to redirect the cursor a lot. This is really frustrating because it takes away from the feeling of control my son would love to have. In one of the articles on the site explaining this product
I read that researchers studied 122 children, aged 3-5 years. The kids who used a computer three to four times a week got better scores on a test aimed at gauging school readiness and cognitive development.
Since my son is showing so much excitement about the computer, I am really interested in trying this great keyboard. I think it will help him! Many thanks for your review of this product!
fun.mom.cheratgmaildotcom
I learned that it has Oversize Keys for Kid Friendly Computing , and that the colors it comes in are Pink, Blue, White, and Green. I can't say that i would choose white for anything having to do with my children. Thank you for having this giveaway.
litefoot873 (@) hotmail.com
I tweeted-http://twitter.com/litefoot873/status/2729085478
litefoot873 (@) hotmail.com
The keyboard is good for kids starting as young as 2 years old.
It has no Period Key to ensure safe surfing.
sign me up
I learned that there's been quite a bit of research done. From the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Report, Fall 2003m, "Many children six and under are active computer users. About half (48%) of all children six and under have used a computer; by the time they are in the four- to six-year-old range, seven out
of ten (70%) have used a computer
sminkie@yahoo.com
I learned that toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not and this was really something I was interested in knowing considering I have 8 grandchildren! Thanks for the giveaway, A.Anderson
Since my son is still young and messy this is what caught my attention (especially since he destroyed my last keyboard with an accidental spill lol)
"SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior to withstand the messiest of computing experiences"
It's spillproof and has a removeable cover! My son would lovvve this!
kristi2bsb@Yahoo.com
I learned that actual medical research shows that toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not.
I am also encouraged that kids with autism specteum disorders seem to benefit from this, since my son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.
I subscribe via e-mail. Thanks for all the great info !
It has a spill proof design. THank you
candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com
I subscribed. THank you
candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com
I am a follower. Thanks
candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com
I learned that the keyboard sells for $69.99.
jen943@hotmail.com
I left a comment regarding the shaving cream review.
jen943@hotmail.com
I subscribed.
jen943@hotmail.com
I plan to follow your blog from now on. I am brand new.
jen943@hotmail.com
I learned that it comes in four different colors. Thanks for such a great giveaway!
me@mookiej.com
I commented on your post here:
Fox's Upcoming Mental Episode Deals With Autism
Tweet! http://twitter.com/Me_Janine/status/2757721146
Me_Janine
I subscribe!
I follow! (MookieJ)
Love that it's spill proof :)
ktgonyea at gmail.com
I learned the Stage 1 Toddler Keyboard is ideal for two year olds to preschoolers and the perfect start to their technology experience.
rachel_demille@yahoo.com
I'm a follower!
rachel_demille@yahoo.com
I tweeted! http://twitter.com/tobinsmommy08/status/2789264490
rachel_demille@yahoo.com
I learned that computer-using toddlers develop better!
I'm a follower.
Spill Proof Design & Washable/Removable Cover both great features for a toddler.
I twittered it @Lil_Ms_P
http://twitter.com/Lil_Ms_P
It has a washable/removable cover.
faery13 at msn dot com
The myPC Stage One Keyboard
is a personalized computer keyboard designed especially for toddlers' learning styles and lifestyles!
lilacbutterfly [at] earthlink.net
i learned that it hasa SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys!
melissa.barnes76 at yahoo dot com
follow on twitter as lovinmykiddos
melissa.barnes76 at yahoo dot com
email subscriber melissa.barnes76 at yahoo dot com
blog follower
didnt post tweet link in previous entry http://twitter.com/lovinmykiddos/status/2812315543
melissa.barnes76 at yahoo dot com
I learned that it has unique features include: SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior to withstand the messiest of computing experiences.
Spill proof?! That's fantastic! Thanks so much for the great giveaway!
annasmama0702@gmail.com
I tweeted!
http://twitter.com/annasmama0702/status/2817018792
annasmama0702@gmail.com
I subscribe via email
annasmama0702@gmail.com
I follow your blog!
annasmama0702@gmail.com
I was happy to learn that they are based in Chicago, which is my home town. They are making awesome products that really help people.
wordsmoveme at gmail dot com
I subscribe via email.
wordsmoveme at gmail dot com
I follow your blog!
wordsmoveme at gmail dot com
I learned they have a spill proof design, removable & washable cover, and slight larger rubberized keys.
they are awesome!
i follow your blog
i subscribe
i tweeted and i follow you on twitter
i am mrstls
I learned that the MyPC has a washable/removable cover. This is one feature that I can really get behind. Things are always getting spilled in our house.
I am a follower. Thanks!
It has a "SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior." trinitygsd at yahoo dot com
the spill proof design is nice
everno@aol.com
Children younger than nine months don't have the physical skills to interact with the computer.
kngmckellar@hotmail.com
I learned that nearly half (48%)
of all children six and under have used a computer, and more than
one in four (30%) have played video games.
Tweet http://twitter.com/dlb1980/status/2827990053
follow your blog
subscribe
I love how it is ideal for 2 year olds up to preschool. And the fact that it is spill proof is a big pluz
I love that it has a washable cover!
Wow.. well, I learned that the myPC brand of keyboards distinguishes itself from competitors by offering a washable, spill proof device designed to correspond with and enhance children's cognitive ability, especially as it relates to early technology based learning. There are currently no other products on the market that offer this combination of unique features. Sweet
What an interesting site. I read the article about how toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not. When my daughter was young she loved the computer. She could read the newspaper at 2 1/2. My Autistic son would just love this! I have been trying to play learning games with him on my compute.. But this keyboard would be perfect! Thanks
gfagan72(at)yahoo(dot)com
Toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not. I find that very interesting.
traymona[at]aol.com
Under the "research Tab" I found the following statement.."Toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than toddlers who do not" This is such good information to know. Our little grandson is autistic so I am very glad we ran into this site! Thank you for your efforts.
joni514@roadrunner.com
Spillproof and washable is definitely a plus. :-)
I learned that the Stage 1 Toddler Keyboard is Mac and PC compatible and the keys are color coded for vowels, consonants, and numbers.
I follow your blog
I learned that The Stage 1 Toddler Keyboard is ideal for two year olds to preschoolers! And that it's SPILL PROOF! That is amazing! Thanks for the chance!
hawkgirl_16 {at} hotmail {dot} com
Im following on twitter, mom2anutball.
hawkgirl_16 {at} hotmail {dot} com
Im following on twitter, mom2anutball!
hawkgirl_16 {at} hotmail {dot} com
It's ideal for two yr olds
I follow
it comes in four different colors
Following you on twitter
gfagan72
gfagan72(at)yahoo(dot)com
subscribed to your newsletter!
gfagan72(at)yahoo(dot)com
I learned that it's a SPILL PROOF design with a washable/removable cover
Share the computer experience with your child as a friend, fellow audience member and guide. That way, you'll be there to draw your child out, just as you do when reading a book. (So, what colour is Elmo's fur? How come Daisy is feeling sad?) This helps a child build vocabulary and memory skills - and share some time with Mum or Dad. And, starting at age two or so, when your child starts asking questions (Why is Peter Rabbit wearing a coat?), you'll be there to answer them, which is a crucial part of a child's coming to understand his world.
following on twitter klp1965
following your blog as klp1965
I learned that the keys are made of rubber and it's spill proof
Interesting. I had no idea that using a computer actually helps develop a toddlers cognative skills and learning skills. I would have figured just the opposite - that it would retard the development of interpersonal skills and create a reliance on 'tech' instead of fostering the ability to think and reason on ones own. Amazing.
kanderspina~at~yahoo~dot~com
I learned that this keyboard is Plug and Play and there is "No Software Required." Sounds great!
xpsundell at gmail dot com
Looking at the keyboard the tactile learning is critical in the teaching of autistic children in the sensory modality. A plus for any clinician is trained in the correct prameter. Many thanks/sw//raymondw345@AOl.com
I went on the research page and under the medical news today it said that toddlers who use a computer develop better learning skills than those who do not
I learned the cover is washable and removeable
I follow your blog
Im subscribed via email
I learned that the keyboard is spill proof.
I subscribed by email.
I love that it is Spill Proof.. I wish mine was!
i learned that Unique features include: SPILL PROOF design, washable/removable cover, slightly larger rubberized keys and tough exterior to withstand the messiest of computing experiences. thanks so much for the chance to win eaglesforjack@gmail.com
i follow thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com
i subscribe thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com
Post a Comment