
The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook: The Ultimate Guide to the Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet
We are slowly converting into a GFCF household. The last time I had my son on this diet was five years ago. Things have changed since then. There are more cookbooks available with good recipes inside. There are also more foods and ingredients available online and at my grocery store that I can purchase.
I was still a little hesitant about going back to this diet. It had no affect the first time. After doing my article on nutrition and autistic children, I realized that I may not have done everything I should have on the diet. I didn’t address the issue of nutritional supplements completely. At the time, it was difficult for me to purchase them. Now, I can find everything my son needs either online or at the pharmacy.
When I received this cookbook in the mail to review, I was convinced that I needed to give this diet another chance. One of the things that I liked about this cookbook is that it starts with providing information about the diet, and how implementing it correctly may help your child. It also goes over a list of foods and drinks that you should avoid completely, and what nutritional supplements you may need to give your child. Another good point for this book is that it encourages the gradual removal of items from your child’s diet. I don’t believe that completely changing your child’s diet overnight would work for most of our children.
The biggest plus for this cookbook is the recipes inside. I tried two of them and both were great. The first one was the recipe for rice milk. It was simple and easy to do. The result was a plain drink, but I solved that by mixing the very sweet (too sweet) store container of rice milk with the homemade. The two together were perfect. Next time, I will try adding honey and see if that helps.
The other recipe I made was the corn chowder. This was also a success. Three out of four of us in the house ate it and liked it. My husband wouldn’t try it. He is a meat and potato guy. I am trying to convert him into a healthy eater. When I made the corn chowder, I used the really sweet store bought rice milk in it. This gave it a sweetness that I believe is the reason my kids enjoyed eating it. Overall, I give this cookbook two thumbs up. I look forward to trying the other recipes in it.

0 comments:
Post a Comment