I would like to introduce you to Karen, a single mom, raising an autistic son. Here is my interview with her.
1. What were your concerns about your son that led you to get him evaluated for autism?
Autism wasn’t on my mind. I was concerned with his lack of communicating verbally.
2. How did the diagnosis affect you and your family?
I am a single mom. I was divorced before I found out. First, I was devastated, then angry. After that, I was ready to fight to help him overcome his obstacles.
3. Did you receive Early Intervention Services? If so, how did they help or not help your son?
Basically, no. He just got speech therapy, and I had to fight like you wouldn’t believe to receive it.
4. Now that your son is 14, how has he progressed?
He is very independent, outgoing and willing to try new things. I had to develop my own therapy and intervention for him to get this far. It seems like I did everything for him by myself. I have never felt so alone.
5. What concerns do you have now that he is closer to being an adult?
Will he be able to take care of himself if something happens to me? Will he find the right job, will he be accepted?
6. What are a couple of the hardest things you have had to deal with?
Finding the right education for him (not totally successful) and intervention services.
7. What are a couple of great moments with your child?
Seeing him smile and the confidence he has. Learning the electric guitar, karate, soccer, baseball and the confidence to achieve.
8. How do you handle the financial difficulties associated with raising an autistic child? It’s very hard. I do the best I can.
9. He was diagnosed at age two and didn't receive early intervention(except sp). Is this because of the long waiting lists to receive services? Did he age out of early intervention services before being able to receive them?
I was not told about any programs except the pre k with the school system. I pulled him out of it was useless..
10. What kind of obstacles have you had to face with the public school system?
Getting him in the right programs and getting the services he needed. He is in private school now and getting services he was denied in the public school system.
11. Do you have or have you tried, any special diets or supplements with your son?
Yes, supplements.
12. Do you have a support group or any type of support system to help you?
No I do not. It’s just Jesus and me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Wonderful interview. People just do not understand what it takes to raise a special needs child:)
Post a Comment