What Not To Do During Daytona Week or Any Race

Friday, February 12, 2010


Are you for racing? Are you ready for the Daytona 500? If you are not a race fan, let me explain a few things. The racing season kicks off in Daytona, FL. My husband has been watching as much of the coverage as his schedule has allowed. My husband's side of the family are big NASCAR fans. I knew nothing about racing when my husband and I started dating.

We've been married 11 years and I like to think that I have learned a few things. For instance:

1. DO NOT make plans for my husband during Daytona Week.

2. DO NOT send my husband out to the store in the middle of a race.

3. DO NOT try to have a conversation during a race that is not directly related to the race.

4. DO NOT like Jeff Gordon!!!

5. DO make fun of Jeff Gordon!!

6. DO like Richard Petty, Mark Martin, and Bill Elliot!

7. DO say "Yes" when you are asked to attend a race in person.

8. DO take earplugs and a headset radio to a live race.

9. DO love having cars displayed all around your house.

and most importantly.....

10. DO pick your own favorite driver!!

I hope this helps a little. Since this is a racing family, I will be following the race and blogging about it on occasions. Here is the link to view the complete starting line-up for the Daytona 500. Mark Martin is the pole sitter (that's the driver that is in the #1 position at the start of the race). Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is in the 2nd position. Two drivers that did not make the race, and I wish they had, are Casey Mears and Dave Blaney. One driver that I have already spotted the small Autism Ribbon on his car is Michael Waltrip. Let me know when you spot other cars with the Autism Ribbon on them.

11 comments:

Brittany said...

LOL My husband loves Jeff Gordon but he we are Hendrick Motorsports Fans all around! :)

hobsoncrew said...

HeHe, this is too funny. My 4 year old son with Autism LOVES NASCAR more than anyone in our family. He has really been into it since he was 2 and can name all the drivers and car numbers and even most of the major sponsors. We have collected all of the small cars that we can find and he plays with them everyday. Like any man, dont dare interupt him during a race either :)

Brandy said...

LOL my dad/grandparents/brother/uncle are VERY Anti-Gordon. My grandparents are big fans of the Lowe's car (Grandpa works for Lowe's lol) and my Dad/Brother are BIG Dale Earnhardt SR & JR fans lol.

Faythe said...

My hubby has gotten back into Nascar about 10 years ago... we could never get races until we got satellite.
You are so On about the rules, LOl!
I'm happy to see Martin make the pole.. I wanted him to win the cup last year.
We are Matt Kenseth fans, as he is almost home grown, we live about an hour from his home town & of course belong to his fan club & go to the fan club parties when we can. I also like Carl Edwards.

Petty is hubbys all time fav & cherishes his autographed car & trading card ( that he can't remember where he hid it??
LOL
I do not want to talk about how much $$ is spent on Nascar or how it fills the house ....! ;0

Faythe @GMT

Jessi @ Jabbering Jessi said...

I would love to add this one DO NOT HAVE A BABY ON THE DAY OF THE DAYTONA 500 lmao our first son was born on the race day. Hubby spent more time in waiting room watchign race then with me in the delivery room

Tammy said...

Jessi - That definitely should be included. Another could be Do NOT let your husband go to a race when you are pregnant. My husband did during my second pregnancy and I was a real b*#tch. I called him during the race and told him that since he cared more about the race then me, that he could sleep on the couch when he got home. My hormones made me the biggest b#%tch during my second pregnancy.

Tammy said...

GrammyMouse - My daughter has an autographed color page from Petty. We went up to his museum and she colored a page with two race cars on it. She left it there and he autographed it and mailed it to her. She loves it. My husband also has a couple of items that were autographed by him. My aunt is married to a friend of his.

Tammy said...

Brandy - Everyone on my husband's side of the family are big racecar fans. They all have different favorite drivers, but no one likes Gordon. My dad and my grandma are race fans. My dad likes Gordon and both he and my mom always by clothing with Gordon on it for the kids. My husband hates that, but we have to let the kids wear them or my parents will get upset.

susan@What Happened To My House said...

I don't have to worry about my dh but my dad, mom and sister. They are huge Jr fans. I like it but don't go out of my way for it. I like Danica Patrick and can't wait till she is in the Sprint races. So jealous, she is hot and talented.

Terra Heck said...

You sure we're not married to the same person! haha Instead of saying Happy Valentine's Day to my, my husband said Happy Daytona 500! He doesn't have a favorite driver (used to be Rusty Wallace) but he's sure he does not like Jeff Gordon.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4