
My mother-in-law called me this morning about Zhu Zhu pets. My kids have one and she bought her great-grandson a couple. She told me that she saw on the news that they emit a dangerous toxic and wanted to know if I had heard anything about it.
I hadn't. I did a search and the only thing that I could find was on Good Guide. Good Guide says that they have a dangerous amount of tin and antimony. Tin can be harmful to the immune system and antimony can be linked to cancer, lung and heart problems.
This got me a little worried. I did some more searching, but have not been able to come up with anything. I am going to keep investigating this. I also ask that if any of my readers have heard anything about this, please leave me a comment. My mother-in-law is wanting to return the ones she bought and I need to decide if I need to get rid of the one my kids have. They absolutely love their Zhu Zhu pet, so I really don't want to.
Update: You can view the Zhu Zhu Pets response to the allegations of their toys being toxic by reading my follow up post.

5 comments:
I also just heard on the news that the zhu zhu pets are toxic, they contain high levels of lead. I bought one from Toys R Us for my grandaugher and now I am not sure if I want to give it to her. I can't find any information either,I have been searching. I heard they are made in China, weren't there also several other toys from there that contain high levels of lead? I guess we need to find toys made in the USA. Never really worried before were things were made.
Thank you
That's freaky considering it is so popular. Recall coming? Keep us up to date, please.
Woah!!! This infuriates me. Why does our gov't continue to allow these things in, year after year! Buy Anerican Made for sure!
aren't these things battery powered?
(my kid is too big to have asked for one, but maybe she just hasn't seen one yet.)
some metals, including lead, tin, antimony, are naturally occurring and IN the environment in trace amounts all the time.
Unless the kids are mouthing the toys, and even then having OVER a certain amount of these materials, it may not really be a problem.
On the OTHER hand, http://www.etsy.com is a great source of handmade, often in the US, often of natural & organic materials, toys and other items. THERE you are buying things straight from the person who made it. Another good way to support US cottage industry.
These allegations are completely false. The GoodGuide is a FOR PROFIT company who uses faulty testing that is not accurate and not relied upon by regulators. And, they make a PROFIT from the products they recommend are sold through Amazon! A little biased I would say!
The company who makes Zhu Zhu Pets tests their products with Independent testing agencies at levels that meet or exceed the standards set. They are completely safe, the allegations are untrue and misleading.
Post a Comment