Tap To Talk

Thursday, October 1, 2009

I've been waiting for the chance to share this with you. Communication devices can be so expensive. They can also draw unwanted attention to our child. Ever wonder why they can't make a device that is reasonably priced and your child would be happy to carry around?

Tap To Talk isn't a communication device, but it is the next best thing. It is a communication software program that turns a handheld Nintendo DSi or DS Lite into an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device. When you subscribe to TapToTalk, you will receive the TapToTalk Starter Kit that includes the TapToTalk game cartridge and a standard memory card to copy pictures and sounds from your computer. The subscriptions start at $99.95 for a year.

Here is their YouTube video. If you are in need of a communication device, check this out first. Especially if you already have a Nintendo DSi or DS Lite.

9 comments:

Sherri said...

WOW! I have a non verbal child who is 4 almost 5 yrs. My hubby and I were thinking of getting my son a DS to see if he would like it. But this is SO awesome! Have you tried it or do you know of anyone who has? I would love to hear from you! I just started to follow your blog! THanks!

Tammy said...

This has just come out on the market. I would love to actually try it, but we don't have a DS. I think this is such a great idea and a great alternative to the communication devices that cost $5000 and more.

Phil Bookman said...

Tammy, thanks for the post. My we (TapToTalk) quote you?

Sherri, you can find out more at www.taptotalk.com. And we have a 30-day refund policy, so you can try TapToTalk risk-free. But you do need the DS.

takishin_japan said...

I felt Tap to talk is very good not only English speakers but also Japanese.Sure It's necessary to change some but not many.In Japan, the communication device is very late.And use Nintendo DS is very helpful because 30million NDS&NDSi in Japan already!

Blessed2BaMommy said...

I have two non verbal children, & have been investigating whether to get a communication device (having tried PECS already which had its own issues for us).

I would give this a try, but we'd need to get the DS. Do you know if they are expensive? The "lite" one looked like it'd be easier for them to manipulate.

Tammy said...

A Nintendo runs about $150 to $200, depending on the store you are buying from.

Phil Bookman said...

For those who want to know about buying a Nintendo for TapToTalk: the DSi is the newer successor to the DS Lite. Same size, but better capability. So get the DSi. Can be purchased easily online (search on 'Buy Nintendo DSi') or at Target, Best Buy, Toys-R-Us. Often priced well under $200.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4