Learning Autism/Day Two

Monday, August 3, 2009


Hello All,
I'm back with my second attempt to learn autism. Day Two holds the question of why does autism occur?

I've read that a genetic brain disorder is the problem. Other reasons include lack of the protein glutathione, toxin buildup from vaccines, environmental toxins, lyme disease, and possibly undeveloped immune systems.

My final decision is that it must be like taking your car to several mechanics for a diagnoses of what went wrong. Each one will likely find a different reason your car malfunctioned. I believe the same is true of doctors.
The problem is that the human body is like the car in the way that each diagnoses could be right or wrong.

My conclusion is that it truly doesn't matter what causes autism. What matters is how it is handled by those who must be responsible for the child in care. Our actions, our education, and our reactions affect others...not only those who suffer autism, but also those who care for these unfortunate individuals.

I've heard that mothers who face children with a challenge would not change a thing were they to have the chance to re-live their life. The thing is that I believe everything happens for a reason. We don't always understand, nor are we meant to understand. What matters is what we do about it.

Yes, I'm standing on the outside looking in. I'm sure that makes me look less than qualified to take this sort of perspective on the autism issue. Before anyone decides to pound me for this, please understand that each of us has a purpose in this life. I'm only trying to fulfill mine.

We learn from our times in the valleys. If this post finds you in a valley, forgive me for being so bold; but take each opportunity you can and learn while you can.

3 comments:

Laurel, Christine, Caeli, Sunny Rose said...

For some, autism and other different abilities are "unfortunate", though a glance at my tot might dissuade one from that view - though she is indeed in a world that is very different from mine, we have surrounded her with the same love and admiration we give to each other and ourselves. She sure is one happy, creative, confident and outrageously secure little autistic girl. If we can just accept that a disability is not a call to change or "mainstream" --- it's a different way to live, and requires nothing other than the usual approach such as "bloom where you are planted" -- then I think the "treatment" end of things will finally find it's niche. Would any of us demand that a tall child please try to learn to be a little shorter, in order to be more "mainstream"? Of course not. We steer that child to utilize their life potential with (i hope) no regard for the difference in height. The same is all that is needed for children with different skills and abilities. We all have souls, and our souls are not affected by our bodies, they are affected only by our lives.

Anonymous said...

I REALLY disagree that it doesn't matter what causes autism. If we can find out what causes it, maybe we can PREVENT it from happening to other children.

I have a autistic 10 year old boy and a "typical" 15 month old girl. Like many others, my son was perfectly "normal" until about 15 months old. It really was devestating to watch him just slip away. He's doing much better now, and I'm watching my daughter closely and spacing out her vaccinations. If I could do more I would.

I do not want ANYONE to go though what myself and so many others have. It's just hearbreaking to see that happen to your child.

It is certainly important to find out the cause of it. I do not want to see the same thing happen to my daughter, future children or grandchildren I may have, or ANY other kid for that reason.

Stacie said...

Awww don't worry I am not going to pound you. In my mind I have to wonder if the vaccines caused Dakota's autism as well coincidences started happening shortly after he was immunized. I can tell you even like you said you go to different doctors and you get different answers.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4