The Things They Learn

Friday, July 31, 2009

I am always amazed at the things my son will learn that I don't teach him. We have always said that he doesn't copy us. This is not totally correct. He doesn't copy our actions on demand. He does watch us all the time. He has learned to do things like operate the tv and dvd player by watching us. To me, this is a form of learning by copying.

In the last week, we have had some pesky flies in the house. My husband has been using the fly swatter to kill them. My son has always been fascinated by bugs, especially flies. The last two days, he has been trying to get the two that are hanging around in the bathroom.

Last night, I was yelling to from another room to get ready for bed. He came running into the living room and grabbed the fly swatter from the floor. I was curious. I had to get up and see what he was doing. He had never done this before. He didn't even know how to use a fly swatter. I grabbed the camera and went to investigate. Here is what I found:













Not to be out done, my daughter got in on the action. She came into the living room with the other fly swatter and said: "I got the fly on the fly swatter and he (her brother) got it and made it alive." So funny. Apparently, my son was using one fly swatter to get a fly to play with while my daughter was trying to use the other fly swatter to kill a fly.

5 comments:

theothermousie said...

Children eh?! That's probably what would happen in our household too - LOL! Although Bram is absolutely terrified of flies!! Sweet story Tammy - thanks for sharing it xxx

Stacie said...

Love when they do stuff like this. Our minds must be thinking alike as I posted something like this about Brittany today. LOL

Staci said...

I don't have any kids to catch flies, but I do have a chihuahua that can somehow catch the fly in his mouth after staring it down for 5 minutes. I don't know how he does it, but at least it saves me the effort of scraping their dead bodies off the wall.

Cute pics!

Shawnee said...

That's a cute story about the fly. My husband surprised me when we lived in California years ago. One day he was bored and taught himself how to catch flies in his fingertips. I never could learn the trick.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4