Another goal that he has accomplished is taking his dishes to the sink when he is done eating. We no longer have to prompt him. He is doing automatically 100% of the time. Yeah! One less person I have to pick up after. My six year old daughter is getting lazy about taking care of her cups and dishes.
Now, I am working on independent communication and attending to school work. He knows how to use a touch screen and used to use it all the time for me. Then he started school last year and regressed. I can't get him to use the keypad independently. If you watched the video in my previous post, you would have seen how he takes my hand and guides my finger across the keypad. Needless to say, this doesn't go over well at school. This coming year, he should have his new communication device and we have all agreed that there will be no facilitated communication with it. He will have to access it independently. I am also going to use the same give and take reward/punishment system that worked with potty training.
Life in our crazy world is good. I worry about my son's future. I explained to him over the weekend that in eight years, he will be an adult with adult decisions to make. My husband shook his head and said that right now he is just a kid. I told my hubby that our little boy needs to understand why he needs to work on doing things for himself. He needs to know what it means for his future. Eight years doesn't seem like a lot of time when I think about all that he needs to improve on. I know he is capable. He just needs the right incentive. In the end, my hubby did not agree with my point of view, but my son did. Today, he actually applied himself to the work I wanted him to do.

2 comments:
You said...
"This coming year, he should have his new communication device and we have all agreed that there will be no facilitated communication with it."
Why?
Facilitated communication is not accepted by the school system as a method of communication. He is also picky about who he will communicate with in this manner. He can communicate independently using a communication device. He just chooses not to. With a new communnication device, we want him to understand right from the start that this is his voice and he needs to use it independently. None of his testing is considered valid if he answers using facilitated communication, and we all want him to be able to officially demonstrate his level of intelligence.
Post a Comment