I have had a love/hate relationship with NASCAR ever since I married my husband. He is a huge NASCAR fan. During both of my pregnancies, he would go to the race in Rockingham. The first pregnancy, I didn't get too upset. The second pregnancy, I was furious. My hormones were way out of wack. When my son was born, he was taken immediately to a different hospital. Comforting him in his incubator was a Bill Elliot plush car. A few months later, we were able to take a picture of my husband, my son and a Bill Elliot cut-out. It was adorable. One thing that has truly made the pictures special, is Bill Elliot's autograph on both. My husband stood in line to get Bill Elliot to sign them. These pictures are mounted, and proudly displayed on our dining room wall.My son is ten now and he is autistic. My husband still loves NASCAR, and I have come to enjoy watching a race in person, but still do not care much about watching it on television. This weekend will be the exception. With NASCAR proudly supporting Autism Awareness with Autism Speaks, I will be glued to the t.v. The race will be at Dover International Speedway, and is a three day event. There is also another event being held today that you might not be aware of. It is the "Drive for Autism", a charity golf event that has been held for the past eight years. It will be held at the DuPont Country Clup in Wilmington, Delaware. The man that organized it is Artie Kempner, coordinating director of Fox Sports in NASCAR. Mr. Kempner has a son that is autistic. This is a very personal event for him. If you would like more information about the event, please visit http://www.delautism.org/.
As for me, I will be glued to the television this weekend. I will be watching and rooting for all the drivers that will be supporting Autism Awareness. I will post my thoughts of the race on Monday.

9 comments:
Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my book giveaway! Good Luck.
Love that NASCAR is driving for Autism!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Hooray for NASCAR supporting Autism awareness!
What a great thing for NASCAR to partner with. I'm all for Autism research - I used to live with and care for three Autistic children and I love them dearly!
Thanks for stopping by. Hope to get to know you better!!
I've never watched NASCAR before, but this sounds like a great event.
I'm not a big fan of Nascar so it is great to hear they have such programs...changes my view a bit =)
Jessica
Growing up in NJ we had Englishtown speedway and the Flemington speedway for races.
I was a long time NASCAR fan, went to my first race in 1980 and it was at Dover Downs. I got to drive the boyfriends truck around a lap to get to infield since we slept over night in lot to wait for gate to open. Back then I was a Harry Gant fan, but quickly moved on to Darrell Waltrip.
With my first husband we visited Riverside Speedway in CA twice a year and went there for a honeymoon in late 80s. When in FL in 94 we did a tour of Daytona Speedway and I passed Fontana but with my kids not really race fans and Darrell retired I stopped watching. I had a hat with many signatures that faded years later. I still have pics of me meeting many drivers decades ago.
My husband loves Nascar too, what's funny is my 22 yr old autistic son has probably got more driver stats committed to his memory than he does.
I can believe that. My son used to watch the race with my hubby all the time. Now, he just listens from the other room.
Post a Comment