Souls Beneath and Beyond Autism Book Review

Tuesday, April 7, 2009


Souls BENEATH AND BEYOND autism, concept and photography by Thomas Balsamo, written by Sharon Rosenbloom

This is a “coffee table” book. It is the kind of book you would keep out to look at over and over again and have out for guests to look at and read. The writing is from the heart, conveying thoughts and emotions that are universal for us parents of an autistic child. The pictures in this book are the primary focus. They show children with different expressions, conveying different emotions. Children smiling and hugging or being hugged. Children with autism. Children we love.

That is the basic concept of this book, for me. The love that is displayed by and for these children. The love I have for my son, is mirrored in this book. There is one sentence that sums up so much, yet I have always stumbled around to convey to others:
“I can only imagine what I am to become because of, not in spite of, my child with autism.”
My son has taught me so much. I have learned to appreciate his amazing accomplishments. I have learned patience that I never would have thought I was capable of. I have learned to stand up and fight for him in a way that I never could have before. This book shows the world that our children are not just a label. They have feelings dreams just like any other child. Life is harder for them and for us, but if more people in our world would look at our children with compassion and understanding, their lives would be a little easier.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4