The Model Me Kids Conversation Cues is a DVD explaining the different aspects of conversation, the cues to follow during a conversation and examples are demonstrated by children. There is also a separate CD to download the picture cards to your computer. I found the DVD to be well put together and helpful for high functioning autistic children who may struggle with conversations in a social setting. I would put it at about a middle school or high school level for a child with autism.
I watched this with my daughter, while my son kept coming in and out of the room. I wasn’t sure if he was listening to it until the end, when he commented on it. My son always has several things going on at one time. He will have the radio and television on in his room, the television on in the kitchen, and if no one is watching the television in the living room, he will have that on too. He will have different things on the televisions. If you turn the station, or turn off a television when he isn’t in the room, he will immediately come out and turn it back on or try to get you to turn the station back. My son hears everything, and processes everything.
Because of this, I was not surprised that he was paying attention to this DVD, even when he wasn’t in the room. He liked the conversation starter questions and the ending questions. What surprised me the most is what happened after I downloaded the picture cards and set them to play as a slide show. He sat and watched them through two cycles. No sound, no music. Two things that he needs to keep his attention. For some reason though, maybe it was the fact that they were pictures of real people, he sat entranced as the pictures cycled through on the computer screen.
I liked the fact that the pictures CD is included and that they are snapshots of key points in the DVD. I look forward to using the information from the DVD and the pictures with my son on a daily basis. My son has very little social skills. He struggles a lot with carrying on conversations. The two main reasons for this is that he is nonverbal and has to type out on a keypad what he wants to say and he has a hard time standing still long enough to get one sentence out, let alone hang around for the person to reply. Model Me Kids has other great products too. Check them out by clicking on the below icon:

4 comments:
sounds like one my daughter would probably find very informative... thanks for the review
that dvd seems really helpful for children...thanks for posting..
Excellent site - thanks for this incredible resource. I will pass it along to a dear friend...
Welcome to SiTS! Em
love this. my daughter has Aspergers and has come a long way through the years. we just played a really fun game the other day called emotion charades...i blogged about it, check it out!
OH, I am also stopping by to introduce myself and welcome you to the SITStahood. You are going to love this wonderful community of women.
You might consider following my blog…I host a monthly drawing for fun prizes EXCLUSIVELY from my list of followers. No need to check in every day (though ya might want to, and I would love that) just follow…pretty cool right?
AND come enter my FABULOUS giveaway too…so much fun stuff happening in the SITStahood!
I’m L-O-V-I-N-G it!!
Post a Comment