Monday, February 2, 2009

BRAVE – Be Ready and Victory’s Easy, written by Marjie Braun Knudsen and Jenne R. Henderson, Ph.D.

This is a story about a fifth grade boy who is struggling with social anxiety. It can be difficult for any child to navigate through social situations at home and at school. I tend to forget that my daughter might need my help in these matters, because I focus so much attention on helping my son learn just the basic of social skills. This book was a reminder that I need to help both of my children, not just my son because he is the one diagnosed with Autism.

“Be ready and victory’s easy.’ I’ll tell ya, Danny, when Jack was younger, there were plenty of times being ready brought victory.” This is a direct quote from the book. The main character is Danny, and Jack is his friend. Jack’s Grandpa is explaining what BRAVE means. All parents of a child with Autism understand the concept of preparing our child for difficult social situations, assignments at school, and everything else in life. Sometimes, I forget that this needs to be applied to all children.

Danny is a typical boy, dealing with bullies, fear of public speaking, and grades. Add into the mix a big brother that gives him a hard time, and he is filled with social anxiety. This book shows how advice from his mom and his friend’s Grandpa, help him work through his problems and overcome his social anxieties.

I recommend this book for parents and children that are around the fifth grade level. This is a children’s book, but parents will benefit from reading it, too. I know I did. It offers good advice in helping a child that is having difficulties with social anxiety. It also can help you to determine if this is an issue with your child. Brave is available at: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell's books, and many others.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great book! My son has Asperger's syndrome and Anxiety Disorder, he is 8 now, and was 7 when we read the book. He was excited to be able to relate to the boy in the book and it really helped him to think about why he is afraid.

Since we read the book he has overcome many fears. I would recommend this book to anybody with a child that experiences anxiety. Read it together and talk about what your reading. You won't be disappointed.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4