Using Reiki Techniques with Children Book Review

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Using Reiki Techniques with Children:
A Guide for Parents and Professionals by Mary Riposo, PhD

This book is about providing a spiritual approach to parenting. The beginning of the book gives you five guidelines for bringing a spiritual approach to your parenting:
1. Cultivate Compassion
2. Simplify Your Life
3. Invite the Sacred into Your Life
4. Live in Harmony with Nature
5. Incorporate Energy Balancing Techniques

The rest of the book covers Reiki(pronounced ray-key) which is a “Japanese holistic healing technique that was discovered by Dr. Mikao Usui in the early 1900’s. Reiki is considered a “hands-on” healing method, one of many such techniques that have been practiced for thousands of years.”

I am not an expert in Reiki. In fact, I had never heard of it before. If you are a follower of holistic medicines for healing purposes, then this is an interesting book. This book is well written and easy to understand. For me, I liked the guidelines at the beginning. I was surprised that they are ones that I actually follow. The rest of the book, I will might have to pass.

I think this is interesting reading though. I would love to hear from people about their direct knowledge of Reiki as a “therapy” for their child. The author states in the book that she has worked with special needs children using this technique with some success. Even children with Autism. I would love to here from any parents who have a child with autism that has benefited(or not) from Reiki.

Dr. Mary Riposa has a website called Alternative Autism Solutions http://www.alternativeautismsolutions.com/ and this site has information on it about Reiki, benefits of using it with ASD children, and how to sign up for classes. Please, let me know your thoughts about Reiki and Alternative Autism Solutions. I am a firm believer that if you are not open to learning about new things and then making a decision, you are hurting yourself.

4 comments:

Bonnie sayers said...

This was a book given away on autism twitter day. I just looked to see if maybe you won it, but different people. Anyway I am curious about what the book actually entails in relation to autism.

Can you include something from the book as it relates to autism? I always include an excerpt in my book reviews so readers can know the style.

Tammy said...

Here is a quote from the book.
"Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders tend to be vrey sensitive and often do not like direct touch. They do respond very well to Reiki, but may need you to beam Reiki into their energy field for several sessions before you can do hands-on work with them."
I had not heard of Reiki before reading this book and I am not big on holistic healing, but there is some good information in the beginning that I could relate to. One quote from the beginning is "Parents of this generation are often admonished by their own parents, who say that they are not strong enough disciplinarians; that if they only showed their children who's boss more often, they would have less trouble." I can't even count how many times I have heard that. A quote about the NEw Parenting Paradigm is "Parenting is viewed as a sacred experience, in which the adult is given the task of nurturing and assisting a newly arrived soul on the planet. This task is viewed as a partnership, in which the parent and the child share the adventure of creating the conscious experience of growth and learning within the nurturing parameters of the relationship.

Unknown said...

I've experienced Reiki personally (about 13 years ago) as an adult and felt it was a positive experience. I'm not sure about it for someone with autism, especially if he/she is sensitive to touch. Probably depends on the practitioner as well as the person.

Anonymous said...

Enter the world of Spiritual Healing by the breakthrough healing system of Brahma Satya Reiki.
The comprehensive healing center.
Visit http://krishwellness.com for our complete catalogue and details regarding healings.

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4