Spelling Ace Pro & Puzzle Solver

Thursday, November 27, 2008


My 9yr old son is nonverbal. He was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 5. He communicates to us by typing on a keyboard or using a touchscreen. Carrying a big computer keyboard around was not pratical for us.

My husband and I found the Spelling Ace Pro & Puzzle Solver that is by Franklin Electronic Publisher's Inc., and Merriam-Webster, Inc. This is a small, hand-held device that is designed to help the user spell words. It also has games on it , such as Hangman and Word Blaster. You can type in a word and get a definition. You can enter in lists of words for studying. There is a demo setting for learning how to use this device and a help setting. I use this to play games when I am waiting on my son to finish in therapy. My son uses it to type out words in order to communicate.

When you turn it on, you have a one line, scrolling over screen, that displays what he is typing. I love that it is small and fits into my pocket or purse easily. I can hold it in one hand while he is typing. The best part is that I bought it at Office Max for only $20. We have two of these. One we keep in his bookbag and one I carry around. It is very durable. Both have been dropped more times than I can recall, and they both still work. This is an important selling point for me, because 9 yr olds drop things a lot.

I recommend this item for any mother looking for an inexpensive communication device or a portable spelling/word game device. You can find one on Amazon.com

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=efd97d1ec2b9f052d4d71216f85a691f ss_blog_claim=7ed72c83a68d9f2d5c811eae5436d4f4